I. Love. Sushi.
If I won the lotto, I’d eat sushi everyday. I probably have extraordinary levels of mercury in my system from how much sushi I eat. I would marry a sushi roll if it were legal (Sushi Pride!!!).
BUT, I am not made of a money… and I don’t want heavy metals in my blood stream… and it is unfortunately unlikely that Sushi Marriage will ever be legalized… Because of all these things, I started making sushi bowls.
First, let me tell you why sushi bowls are awesome:
- It tastes just like sushi, but without the fish!
- But you could always add fish… They’re customization!
- It’s easily transported! With sushi rolls you have to sit down to eat them and have little bowls for sauces. Very inconvenient! But a sushi bowl you can throw in a tupperware and eat on the go!
- They’re healthy! Sushi rolls can be loaded with substitute ingredients like mayonnaise. Sushi bowls are 100% made by you so you know exactly what’s going in them!
- They’re fucking delicious. There, I said it.
Here are the ingredients I use for my sushi bowls. Notice the “I”. I even bolded it. You can put whatever your sushi-lovin’ heart desires in yours! But here’s what I do, and I’m so sorry there’s no measurements… I never measure things, do it all to your taste!
- Rice (I prefer white. For me, it both tastes and digests easier)
- Greens (I like spinach or romaine)
- Julienned or shredded carrots
- Julienned or shredded cucumber
- Sliced avocado
- Seaweed salad (the neon green stuff that is oh so yummy)
- Green papaya salad (doesn’t taste like anything but it adds crunch!)
- Thinly sliced green onion
- Sesame seeds
- Soy Sauce (low sodium)
- Sesame oil (a very small amount!)
- Sriracha (if you like spice)
- Greek yogurt
- Thai chile sauce
Uhh…well… Mix everything together and eat! See? Easy! YUM!!!
Let me know what you guys think! I’ve been making these almost daily for my family and they’re so easy, light, and filling—perfect for summer!
Hope you all enjoy!
Peace, Love, and Full Bellies,